Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Best Way to Learn Japanese Numbers is to Work at a Fruit Stand!

That's right, 8 hours at a friggin' fruit stand will have you counting back yen faster than you can say "sashimi"! No really, I had a great time and the people--as always--were very welcoming and friendly.
Okazaki City Hall Agricultural Division maintains a cooperative with a Twin City--Ishigaki, Okinawa. Once a year, the Okinawans come to Okazaki to sell their products and Okazaki residents go to Okinawa to sell their products. This weird little thing called umebodo--that looks like microscopic grapes on a stalk of kelp--is apparently a hot item. It tastes like sea salt. There was a huge rush at opening and we sold out of it within 10 minutes.
I was particularly fond of the "peach pineapple." It's a little pineapple that tastes like a cross between a peach and a pineapple. One could be yours for only 9 US dollars. . .

All day, there were taiko groups performing outside. I love taiko and I was fortunate enough to get to participate in TWO group performances! I guess I stick out like a sore thumb when it comes time for audience participation selection.And now on to a section I like to call, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT PLANT??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ask me why I know this, but your "what the hell is this plant" is I believe called a vase flower/ vase plant or something like that. It is a carnivorous/insectivorous plant that lures its prey to just the inside of the rim with a sweet nectar I believe where they will hopefully slip and fall in. The bottom of the plant usually contains sticky slimy digestive juices where the bugs are digested alive because they are able to climb out. Why I know this we will never be sure. Love Ya

9:07 AM  
Blogger Donald Piret said...

Waa, I had one of these plants at home too, and kodii's absolutely right, then it died, it was a very sad moment for the plant kingdom.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home